Friday, 29 June 2012

Claiming the Cost

So we got a letter from Canada Revenue Agency.  They have asked us to provide support for our claim of $21,000* in child care expenses from our 2011 income tax and benefit return. 
No problem.  We just need to fill out the Child Care Expenses Deduction form along with our Business Number, T4 Summary, and our nanny’s SIN, since we act as employers for the nanny who works in our home.
I know that the government needs to review income tax returns since it is a self-assessment system, but it just makes me wonder:
If they receive an income tax return for 2 full-time working parents in Toronto with 3 children under the age of 6, wouldn’t you assume that we’re paying for child care, and that we easily reached and exceeded the maximum amount?  Do I really need to prove it?

*$21,000 is the maximum amount we can claim for child care expenses for our 3 children.

No comments:

Post a Comment