Sunday 22 April 2012

Sunday Nights


My husband dreads Sunday.  Starting about 4 o'clock, the stress of the week ahead begins to bear down on him and squash out his enjoyment of the weekend.  I don't think he's alone.  I just read about Sunday Night Insomnia: when people can't get to sleep either because their circadian rhythms are out of whack from sleeping in during the weekend, or like my husband, they are beginning to feel the stress of the looming work week.

I don't have this problem.  In fact, I quite like Sunday nights.  I'm certainly not bothered by the idea of the work week ahead.  I know that many people actually start their work week on Sunday afternoon or evening, checking their emails and to-do lists and trying to get a head start on the upcoming week.  Truth is, I rarely have the time to shift into work mode before Monday morning.  Of course, I'll do work on the weekend if I absolutely need to, but for the most part, I'm busy keeping the children entertained, hoping to make our time together quality time, and trying to enjoy them more than endure them.

But I do like it when they go to bed.   Especially on Sunday night.  For me, every Monday is like a fresh start, a new beginning.  So on Sunday night, I like to get prepared for the coming week.  It's my chance to make sure the house is (relatively) tidy, take stock of the laundry situation, plan meals, pack my lunch.   They say we should think of each Monday as a chance to recommit to our resolutions, so I like to use Sunday night to organise myself.  I don't find it stressful at all.  But then, I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to being organised, aren't I?

How do you spend your Sunday nights?

No comments:

Post a Comment