Monday 27 August 2012

Laundry is my Nemesis

“You collect a whole bunch of it and put it into a big pile. Then, take the big pile and split it into at least two different piles. You take and move just one of those piles, to start. When it’s finished, you take the pile and move the pile again. When that part’s done, you sort through the pile and fold it all up into a nice neat pile. Then you repeat with the second pile."
I remember something like this paragraph being used during a literacy training course to illustrate that there are varying levels of reading comprehension.  For example, even if you can read the words, you don’t necessarily know what you’re reading.  Unless of course, you’ve also read the title of this blog post, which has most probably given away the answer.
I was a lot younger at the time, and certainly didn’t do too much laundry, so it’s understandable that I didn’t figure it out right away. But now, with at least 8 loads a week, laundry is a constant force in my life, and I’m sure that I would recognise the description of the laundry process, no matter how vague.

I don’t actually mind doing laundry, although I am sometimes slow to get to the phase of putting the clean, folded clothes away. My problem with laundry lies only with the fact that it never goes away!

I’m a task-oriented individual. I like lists. I really like crossing items off my list. Laundry, however, never ever gets crossed off the list. I can just barely keep up, and it's impossible to ever get ahead. If the hamper is empty, it just means that there are piles of dirty laundry in the laundry room to be washed. And probably a pile of clean, dry clothes waiting to be folded. And definitely, at least two laundry baskets full of clean, folded clothes waiting to be put away. Plus, all the extra items that need washing like dish cloths, bath mats, sheets and duvet covers. And heaven forbid we go away for a weekend! Then the dirty to clean laundry ratio is totally unbalanced, and I’m stuck trying to catch up before I can even think of keeping up.

I know I’m not alone. Laundry haunts us all. Or if not laundry, some other household chore. How do you deal with your most loathsome chore?

No comments:

Post a Comment