Tuesday 4 September 2012

Feeling overwhelmed... thank goodness for wine!

It was the first day of school.  The first day of figuring out new routines and new schedules.  The first day of trying to figure out how to make our days run smoothly.  The first day of wondering how am I ever going to manage.

I worked from home today so that I could make multiple trips back and forth to the school:  The daycare drop-off and taking Madeleine to her first day of Grade 1. Returning again to get Sophie and meet her teacher for junior kindergarten. Going back to pick-up Madeleine at lunch time since I didn't have a lunch packed, and wanted to get a sense of how the lunch program worked anyway. Back again to take her for the afternoon. Then back again to take her to the first day of the after-school program run by the community centre. I even managed to fit in a quick trip to the grocery store to get some healthy foods for dinners, lunches and snacks.  

Granted, once we're into a normal school day, my work day will be much more relaxed.  As long as I can get out of the door on time.

Then it was time for the daycare and after-school care pick-up and the crazy dinner preparation hour.

In spite of a few tantrums, one sibling squabble and a pee in the front porch (not mine), a yummy and healthy dinner of baked salmon, bruschetta, brown rice and vegetables was on the table by 6:30.

Yes.  I was quite proud of our dinner.

Somehow, I even managed to get the dishes washed and start the dishwasher before the bedtime routine.  I'm wondering if this is a manageable long term strategy so that I can unpack the dishes and make lunches before I go to bed...

There is just always so much to do.

After getting then girls to bed, I wanted to collapse on the couch for a while, but then I saw a basket of laundry that needed folding and was reminded of the three baskets upstairs that need to be put away.  It also brought to mind that our clothes dryer is still broken and I haven't heard back from the repair man...

I'm exhausted, and there's still more to do: a dog to walk, clothes to fold, laundry to put away, snacks to pack, lunches to make.  I'm totally not even bothering to worry about putting the toys away. Or sweeping the floor. See? I am allowing myself to relax a little.

But what happens when there's homework to do, or extra curricular activities to attend...

Sigh.

Wine!  Oh yes, there's more white wine in the fridge.  That should help...

No comments:

Post a Comment